New Age Care Logo

Local Authority/Council Funding for In-Home Care

Local Authority/Council Funding for In-Home Care

New Age Care News

Local Authority/ Council Funding for In-Home Care

(also known as social care)

If you are eligible, your local council may contribute to the cost of your in-home care. What you are entitled to will depend on what kind of care you need and how much you can afford to pay. Your local council will carry out a care needs assessment, as well as a financial assessment to determine your eligibility.


Who is entitled to local authority funding?

You are entitled to social care if:

  • you’re over 18 in England, or any age in Wales and
  • you ordinarily reside in a local authority’s area, and
  • you meet the care needs and financial criteria.


The Eligibility Process

If you think you are eligible for In-Home Care support from your local council, then the first step is to contact them for a Care Needs Assessment. This assessment is free and will determine the level of help you need. You can also be referred for assessment by a medical practitioner, family of a friend. 

If the local authority determines that you need help at home, they will then do a financial assessment, also known as a means test. Again, this test is free and will be arranged for you by the council. The means test involves an Assessment Officer visiting your home and looking at your financial situation to determine your capital including earnings, pensions, benefits, savings and property. They do not consider the value of your possessions nor any life insurance policies you may have. 

If it is determined that you are eligible for some local authority funding for in-home care then your council can arrange this for you. Alternatively, you can choose to receive direct payments and arrange your own in-home care.


Funding guide

Your Capital What you pay
>£23,250 You pay for your own In-Home Care
£14,250-£23,250 The council will contribute some of the money required for your care and you will pay the rest
<£14,250 The council will pay for your care but will take your eligible income into account

Further Information

To find out if you are eligible for council funding contact your Local Authority and request a needs assessment.

If you would like to speak to someone for advice you can also contact:

Age UK Advice Line – 0800 678 1602

Independent Age – 0800 319 6789

Money Advice Service – 0800 138 7777


Copyright © New Age Care 2024
Website by
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram